On Wednesday night, most of the Indians affiliates struggled in each of their respective games except for the AZL Indians. Rather than picking a game to write about, I will give the top performances of each team.
Short Season: Mahoning Valley Scrappers
The Scrappers (4-6) dropped Wednesday’s game to the State College Spikes (6-3) by a final score of 6-1.
- Paul Hendrix (2B): 2-4, 2 1B, 1 K
- Robel Garcia (3B): 1-3, HR (1), R, RBI (6), BB
- Harold Guerrero (RP): 2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 K
- Breily Puerta (RP): 2 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K
Next Game: The Scrappers will conclude a two-game series with the Spikes on Thursday night at 7:05 PM. State College will have right-hander Nick Petree (0-0, 0.00 ERA) on the mound while Mahoning Valley will give the ball to left-hander Luis Lugo (0-1, 0.90 ERA).
Low-A: Lake County Captains
The Captains (5-2, 28-46) lost to the Great Lakes Loons (5-2, 32-45) on Wednesday night by a final score of 2-0.
- Dorssys Paulino, Joe Sever and Aaron Siliga: each player had a single
- Luis Dejesus (SP): L (2-8), 6 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 5 K
- Luis Morel (RP): 3 IP, 2 H, 3 K
Next Game: Lake County will send RHP Robbie Aviles (1-2, 5.09) to the rubber to start the ballgame. The Great Lakes Loons will counter with RHP Brandon Martinez (0-0, 4.15). First Pitch is at 11:00 AM from Classic Park in Eastlake, Ohio.
High-A: Carolina Mudcats
The Mudcats (2-4, 24-52) fell to the Frederick Keys (2-4, 36-39) on Wednesday night by a final score of 6-2.
- Joey Wendle (2B): 2-5, 1B, HR (8), RBI (32), R, K
- Jerrud Sabourin (1B): 2-5, 2 2B, R, K
- Paddy Matera (SS): 2-4, 1B, 2B, RBI (5)
- Grant Sides (RP): 2 IP, 2 BB, 2 K
Next Game: Carolina looks for a series split on Thursday night with RHP Michael Peoples (0-3, 6.41 ERA) getting the start against LHP Tim Berry (5-4, 4.30 ERA) for the Keys. First pitch is set for 7:15 p.m. from Five County Stadium.
Double-A: Akron Aeros
The Aeros (36-41) were swept on Wednesday night by the Harrisburg Senators (43-35) after the Senators took the series finale 11-2.
- Giovanny Urshela (3B): 1-4, HR (6), RBI (23), R
- Jesus Aguilar (1B): 1-4, 2B, RBI (58)
- 8 out of 9 starters had at one hit.
- Enosil Tejeda (RP): 1.1 IP, 1 K
- Jose Flores (RP): 1 IP, 1 H, 1 K
Next Game: The Aeros will try to re-group as they return to Canal Park Thursday evening at 7:05, to begin a five-game weekend series against Altoona at Canal Park. The Curve will send RHP Jameson Taillon (3-5, 2.93) to the mound, and Akron will ask RHP Toru Murata (3-3, 3.03) to help stop the losing streak.
Triple-A: Columbus Clippers
The Clippers and the Norfolk Tides were suspended in the top of the fourth inning on Wednesday night due to rain. The Clippers were leading 3-1. The game will be completed in full beginning at 6:05 pm Thursday night, with Thursday’s regularly scheduled contest following as a seven-inning game. After game one is completed Thursday, Norfolk will send right-hander Jake Arrieta (4-3, 5.14) to the hill in the second game of the twinbill. Columbus will counter with right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka (1-3, 3.86).
Rookie League: AZL Indians
The Indians (2-4) fell to the AZL Brewers (3-3) on Wednesday night by a final score of 9-8 in 12 innings.
- Clint Frazier (DH): 3-6, 3 1B, 2 RBI (6), 2 R, 1 K
- Joel Mejia (CF): 3-5, 1B, 2 2B, 3 R, 1 K
- Victor Cabral (RF): 2-5, 1B, 2B, RBI (1), R, 1 K
- Anderson Polanco (RP): 4 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 5 K
- Jose Zapata (RP): 3 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 4 K
Have a great day! Tomorrow I will have a recap of the Captains game as well as another affiliate story. Any suggestions on which one?