On Friday night, many moves were announced of players moving for the final weekend of the minor league season. With the AZL Indians the only playoff-bound team (they lost Friday), Monday is the final day of the season.
RHP Carlos Carrasco was optioned to Columbus to make room for OF Jason Kubel
INF Yhoxian Medina was assigned to Columbus from Lake County
- Medina moves up to Columbus to end the season after splitting time between Lake County and Carolina. Medina started the season in Extended Spring Training before being activated in Carolina on April 26th. In 23 games, he hit .232 before going back to Lake County on May 29th. Working around one DL stint, he had an average of .278 in 67 game for the Captains.
1B David Cooper opted out of his contract with the Indians and was released
- Cooper was signed by the Indians on August 13th while rehabbing after back surgery. Cooper completed a six-game rehab assignment in Arizona as he hit .440 in six games, though he was only hitting .192 with a .442 OPS in seven games at Columbus. Since he was not called up to the bigs, he had a clause to opt out at the end of the month.
RHP Grant Sides was promoted to Carolina from Lake County
- Sides started the year in Carolina but struggled with command as he walked 31 batters in 37 innings en route to a 6.93 ERA over 26 games. On July 6th, Sides was sent to Lake County to work on mechanics and he ruled the Midwest League hitters. In 18 games, Sides gave up four earned runs in 18 games (1.38 ERA) with a 12:34 BB/K ratio.
RHP Juan Santana was promoted to Lake County from AZL
- Santana may make a start before the season is over considering Aviles and Sisco are unavailable for the weekend. As a starter, he compiled a 4.33 ERA in 12 games (52 innings) with the AZL Indians.
RHP Jordan Milbrath was promoted to Lake County from AZL
- Milbrath joins the Captains in the bullpen as the second 2013 draftee. While with the AZL Indians, he pitched in 13 games (20.1 IP) and had a 4.87 ERA on the year.
RHP Robbie Aviles was placed on the Disabled List with a right hand fracture
- Aviles started in the bullpen after being added to the roster on May 16th. He was made into a starter and he made 14 starts. Over 69 innings, he has an earned run average of 5.09. He missed time in May/June with a blister. No word on how the injury was obtained.
RHP Jake Sisco placed on the Temporary Inactive List
- Sisco made 23 starts (24 appearances) for the Captains and he had bouts of inconsistency throughout the year. He has an ERA of 4.86 this year and that is in 111 innings.
INF Grant Fink was promoted to Mahoning Valley from AZL
- Fink joins the Scrappers after 46 games in Arizona. He was selected in the 23th round of the 2013 draft. In the Arizona League, he hit .263 with 23 RBI’s and a 20:51 BB/K ratio.